Tuesday 1 December 2009

Report From The Bunker 1

Three days after drinking Irish whisky, which was like swallowing a bonfire...that had been put out...with whisky...my brain still appears to have been severely affected to the extent that it barely functions...

Watched the rest of ‘The Dark Knight’ today having consumed it in several chunks...Heath Ledger as The Joker is the best thing about it...as you probably know...some awful dialogue...spectacular action...and the Bat Bike...
Listened to ‘Gilles Peterson Presents Brownswood Bubblers Two’...thinking ‘I want to strangle Gilles Peterson’...which is a terrible thought, I know, but I get the feeling he’s somehow regarded, still, as a ‘jazz DJ’ and, yes, I remember hearing him play jazz records to a man and his dog (and my friend and I) in a Richmond bar back when he wasn’t Famous, which I assume he is now...this compilation makes me want to retch, being mostly smo-o-oth, wine bar bland soul Musak to slit your throat to...
So I drive out those demons by listening to John Coltrane’s ‘Blue Train’...which reminds me: someone I once knew claimed that, whilst recording a session with MacGowan, he was asked to play like Coltrane does on this track...or did I dream that?...no, it definitely happened...I recall seeing a photo of, or hearing about (oh how the retched memory fails!) MacGowan wearing a t-shirt with Charlie Parker on it...but idols of certain artists do not always exert an influence on their music...except to say that in the case of Parker and MacGowan, perhaps Bird influenced Shane’s hedonistic/nihilistic lifestyle...and I read today that Bono loves ‘A Love Supreme’...but we can’t expect him to create cutting edge jazz, can we?...and he’s played with BB King and met Burroughs...so I’m wondering how I can share a love of certain key artists with him and still find his music intolerable...instead of Rock, he should be making cutting edge blues-influenced jazz featuring some cut-up prose...
Cut to ‘Rise From Your Grave’ by Phuture, the dark techno classic from ’92...a message beamed straight to the crack-ridden wastelands where brothers are ‘living a lie selling drugs while they watch their brothers die’...but the ‘Wake Da Fuck Up’ mix proves uplifting...and perhaps my brain will wake up when that damn whisky has worn off...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...