Tuesday 15 March 2016

Painting by Jane Pearrett / John Cage (again) / Disappearing & Forgetting


.......painting, Storm, by Jane Pearrett...for sale, just message me for more info if interested...

Yes, today someone asked me who John Cage is after looking at my badge. He's a work colleague, so it wasn't quite as satisfying as it would have been had a stranger asked, but all the same, the thing is that I've planted the name 'John Cage' into a head that would otherwise never have entertained it - you see? I just told him to look him up, so he did, mumbling the opening sentences of the Wiki entry as he did so. Now, of course he won't go seeking Cage's music on YouTube, or books on Amazon, but it still pleases me just to have introduced him to someone who's ignorant of Cage's world. I only wish I'd suggested he listen to 4' 33"...

By the way, have you noticed that everyone's disappearing? It's weird, but true. I sense a backlash against the social network in a bid to reclaim the self, along with the memory of the self and actual core identity, as opposed to the fictitious online version. And people are forgetting more than ever before. There's always been a lot to forget, but the onslaught of text and images on screen heightens the sense of loss. People are forgetting to reply to emails, 'like' posts, respond to questions and, more pertinently in my case, where they put their reading glasses...

TTFN


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...