Tuesday 7 July 2015

LadyLips / Boiler Room Blues / Oliver Nelson's Hoe Down

LadyLips&Eyes, 2015
More art here

***

....anyway, look, so I was at Work and thought I'd call in at The Boiler Room (home of un-duh-ground music), as I do from time to time, on YouTube, just to see what The Kids are doing behind and in front of twin decks because I used to operate there too, a lifetime ago, when using CDs (when they became popular at home) was considered radical (to me anyway, circa '96) and even before CDs were invented....

...so I'm curious...and the Boiler Room experience always drives me nuts because I can never find a DJ who I rate - huh! Out of all those names you'd think there would be 1, or 2, or 3. OK, I recall thinking Andrew Weatherall was all right...Raime...Demdike Stare...and Bill Kouligas, of course. Otherwise, mostly, it's 'dum-dum-dum' (variations) or 'pittah-pat-pittah' ('footwork, footwork...everybody cut' ...er) - you know, nothing to make you sit up, or your ears prick up...

..it seems to be considered a 'hipster' hang out, although BR happens worldwide - I dunno, although the crowd look bored a lot of the time (self-conscious head-nodding) - is that a modern pose? That or so apparently enthralled to the pointed of rave gesturing as to appear totally idiotic....

...so I'm clicking through the latest sets when I have a listen to Four Tet and almost fall off my chair as he starts with Albert Ayler...(with added FX)...


...notice the girl in the white jacket sort of dancing to it?!!! Heh-heh. I wish I'd had a programmed audience for some of my sets. His crowd are willing to nod their heads as if Ayler's laying down some kind of groove for chrissake! I dunno how Four Tet got so big - good luck to him...

...then I came across this, another example of Jazz being shoehorned into where it doesn't belong...John Coltrane's Giant Steps sped up at the 33min mark - whoooo--oooo! Bleedin' 'ell...


I've got to stop visiting the Boiler Room...it depresses me...

***

To put things right - I've been listening to Oliver Nelson's Blues And The Abstract Truth again recently - we go back a long way but as with old friends I lost touch...shamefully, because it's such a great album. Hoe Down is, without doubt, a classic example of the sub-genre, Jazz Country Dance Reference, which as far as I know only consist of this and Brubeck's Unsquare Dance. Just listen to Dolphy...


                                           

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...