Friday 26 June 2015

All Over The (Andrew) Hill


Yes, it's Andrew Hill Day (not worldwide, nationwide or even citywide, but flatwide) - I'm all over him today and he's all over me, smearing me with his music (?), coating me (?), caressing me (?) seducing me again, because he did so several lifetimes ago when I was less wrinkled and grey than I am today but although I'm not (hopefully) close to sleeping The Big Sleep I am having a Dance With Death...


...despite the title it's no morbid contemplation of The End and has this, for instance, which is not introspective or 'out' but juicy...in a slow, sweet, sticky drip-like-honey mode...mmm...slurp...



...I nearly named my book after the Andrew Hill album, Point Of Departure...it need pluralising, of course, since there were many points from which I departed...the album is essential. Today it feels as if many Andrew Hill albums are essential...do you ever get that kind of hunger for an artist? A Compulsion, you might say...take a deep breath, we're going in (and 'out', for this is one of Hill's most adventurous pieces but accessible, I believe, after you've ridden out the initial 3-minute 'storm'...listen to Cecil McBee's bass...hook! Freddie Hubbard blowing his (and your) brains out! But it breaks down again, a fantastic descent into which John Gilmore throws his chops...amazing...


...before you slip into the Land Of Nod...


...because you've absolutely no interest in or love for Andrew Hill, I shall say TTFN and continue listening to him...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...