Monday 6 October 2014

"You're Not Working Class"


A friend came 'round yesterday.................
..........it was weird..........
I could have touched him if I'd wanted to...........
and did when we shook hands......................................
...................he was not digital.........

"You're not working class," he said. Not out of the blue, but as part of a conversation we were having about...........
.....yes, class....

"I am," I replied. "But just because I've read certain books and listen to certain kinds of music, I'm not supposed to be working class. That's my point. Just because I'm not watching crap telly all night on a 42-inch screen whilst wearing sports clothes and stuffing my face with a kebab, I'm not working class?"

Here's what I do look like...


....which tells you nothing........................................................................

Class is important in the UK. Perhaps you know that. It still matters. The working class is the only one from which millions try to escape and do so by getting bigger houses, better cars etc...sending their kids to better schools...thinking that having those things will make them Not Working Class - ha-ha! Once a prole...

My friend has French parents. He's classless. And a painter. I don't paint. I make things like this........ 



.........it's Working Class Art Brut, innit?!

Apropos of nothing other than the fact I've been listening to them this morning, here are The Fall..........(although Mark E Smith is working class and unashamed of the fact).......


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...