Friday 22 July 2011

Gli Occhi Freddi Della Paura (Cold Eyes Of Fear) - Ennio Morricone



Listen Hear

So this morning a friend asked what I’d been listening to recently and I said, amongst other things, Ennio Morricone, and he mentioned a covers album of his spag Western tunes by someone, so I told him other material by Ennio excited me much more, and I mentioned this soundtrack from 1971. He hadn’t heard of it, of course (the chances were slim). Ennio’s tied to his famous Western themes in popular culture, which is no bad thing since they are so good, but here’s a soundtrack I want to shout about from the rooftops. Hold on...right, I’m up here...THIS ALBUM IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! Perhaps no-one’s listening. I hope you are. This features  Gruppo di Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza. It’s like, er, psychedelic Jazz; the best you’ve ever heard. It’s electro-acoustic. There are even a few walking double bass lines, like a nod to the tradition, and when this element crops up it’s as if they’re also acknowledging the Cool Jazz Soundtrack school. But only in bursts, because otherwise they’re busy creating perfect improvised miniatures as mood music for a psychotic slasher flic nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...