Tuesday 5 April 2016

Bass Is The Place: Charles Mingus' II B.S


Visiting Our God Is Speed recently I learnt that back in February whilst I was hibernating (mentally), surely, because I missed it, Simon Reynolds started a bass poll, inviting contributors as well as throwing in his own nominations. Not that I would have bothered, but playing Mingus' II B.S. at the week-end I was struck for the zillionth time by the magnificence of His intro. I don't know if any Jazz was involved in the Blissblog thing, probably not. This isn't the start of my big trawl through classic bass moments either. I just wanted to post it and listen again, not only to what must rate as one of the Greatest Bass Intros In Jazz, but the whole storming track, during which He keeps it moving as only Mingus could, as if wishing to tear off every string. The percussive colour during the intro is the icing...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...