Saturday 26 December 2015

Xmas Retro Telly / Pierre Henry / Consumer Withdrawal Symptoms / The Bug

.........................................László Moholy-Nagy plays Santa..............................

***

Xmas telly, yes, nostalgia for nostalgia continues unabated with The Two Ronnies, Morecambe and Wise & Top of the Pops all over the place - I pondered the situation whilst avoiding them all.....concluding that TV programmers were of the generation for whom these shows were a precious part of their childhood therefore irresistible..................but then LJ suggested that they were probably younger than that (us) therefore blowing my theory out the window....in which case I thought that retro telly of the 70s kind was now simply a fixture, forced upon those too young to actually remember the shows well by older, more powerful TV people....is that sorted out now? I dunno...................................I do know that Xmas at home rather than with my parents means I can choose what I watch, or don't watch....................a small consolation for their absence.........and besides, it's their fault that 70s comedy Xmas specials are so much a part of my history....I was going to say 'because we were working class' but is that true? Didn't everyone watch those shows? More than 20 million viewers watched Morecambe and Wise's Christmas Show in 1977....they weren't all working class, surely? I don't know the status of TV amongst today's middle-classes..........is it shunned or accepted, generally? My biased opinion tells me they much prefer having friends 'round for dinner whilst the kids play with retro wooden toys....that's probably nonsense.........................I do know that in our increasingly gentrified street it's de rigueur to display a large, real Xmas tree in the window, to prove you're a bit classy.................

***

Records of the Year revisited: one I omitted simply because I forgot about it.......
 Pierre Henry - Choix D'oeuvres: 1950 - 1985 (Vinyl On Demand)


                                          How the hell could I forget that?! Idiot. It was the best reissue/compilation of 2015 by a mile...................I got carried away snapping the unwrapping process & posting about it here...
as if anyone wants to see all that..........well excuse me but we all get carried away sometimes............

***

..............this being Boxing Day we are all relieved of those terrible consumer withdrawal symptoms that we're forced to endure for a whole day, which means rushing to sales, for some & in my case, going up the local shop to buy a 'paper.......whopeee! the shop's open! normality is resumed........after all, what defines us if it is not shopping, for anything, even a 'paper or a litre of milk? 
...............................................Somewhere on the planet, I've heard, there are humans for whom this would mean nothing...you know, 'indigenous peoples'...perhaps for whom Xmas means nothing at all.................poor things.........never knowing the joys of correct Xmas gift anxiety (giving & receiving) or The Two Ronnie Xmas Special......................
                                                                   & being Boxing Day there's a full programme of football fixtures which I would also normally celebrate except for the fact that I'm a Chelsea fan......anyone who follows the game knows what I mean.......... 

***

...................finally, my good friend Mona over at Exile On Moan Street picked The Bug's Meth Teng as his Single of the Year.......so what? you may ask. so I hadn't heard it before & it's really very good.....



TTFN (yes, I will be posting over the holiday 'cause there ain't much else I'm going to fill my days with & more to the point consumer withdrawal symptoms are one thing, but you surely could not endure life devoid of Include Me Out...ha-ha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...