Wednesday 20 November 2013

Reaching Infinite Compilation


'Ello, mate. 
Look, I've made you a tape. Library stuff, mostly, with a few modern acts on it...you know, the usual suspects, but they fit.
Remember that girl I used to see down in on the coast in Hove? That was back when everyone still had tapes. That's all she had, tapes, strewn all over the floor of her flat where we sat smoking, wondering whether to shag or not, well I was anyway. Turns out we didn't. All I remember her playing was Rickie Lee Jones...that was all right with me. Chuck E's In Love...I wasn't, but I liked her well enough. 
I met her at a fanzine convention. She bought something I made and we got chatting, you know. Next thing I'm living in Brighton with a mate in a run down B&B for bums on the dole. That was us. I wouldn't say it was bad but the milk they supplied for breakfast was off one morning...yeah...
I got a job, finally, in the restaurant on the end of the pier...serving tea to old folk whilst some bloke played the organ...christ, makes me feel ancient... 
The bomb had just gone off at the Tory conference, so that makes it...'84. I'll never forget a couple of Yanks coming up to me whilst I was clearing the tables and asking where the bombing happened. I pointed across the see to a bloody great big black hole in the buildings and said 'There'. 
Live Aid was on...posters in all the windows and the sound of it coming out of them as I walked the streets wondering what the hell I was doing with my life and how much longer I could stand that job & Bob Geldof & Queen & Status fucking Quo... 
Anyway, I made you a tape. Things have changed. No need for cassette-players...just download it...hope you like it...
Oh, the photo on the cover is by LJ.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...