Monday 17 December 2012

Smith-Corona Christmas Ad 1967


Smith-Corona didn't kill off pencil (why not pen?) and paper...computers did that. But the portable electric probably helped nudge nations towards being unable to write by hand. I know how liberated I felt buying my first typewriter (manual), then the electric, which really made me feel like my fingers could keep up with my thoughts. I soon realised that my fingers were capable of moving faster than my thoughts, actually, although for a few months I pretended to be Kerouac on speed and henceforth typed all letters, as well as poems and terrible not-even-half-finished novels about neo-Beats in London on the dole listening to Jazz...kind of autobiographical, you might say.... 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...