Saturday 27 August 2011

Big Band Bossa Nova - Beneath The Paving Stones, The Beach



Bossa Nova is perfect for the beach. But if, like me, you don’t live near one, it lies ‘beneath the paving stones’, according to the French revolutionaries of ’68. It’s one of my favourite slogans from that era, urging us, as it does, to seek our ideals wherever we may be located. So some of us must imagine, or will that beach to appear, and with the help of Stan Getz it should be easier. I’ve heard the term Bossa Nova translated in various ways, either ‘New Wave’ or ‘New Trend’; I prefer the former which, in my dream of an idyllic setting, matches those waves rolling in from the ocean. The music bathes us in light and warmth...Getz’s tenor sound channelling the mood and feeling perfectly. It was around this date (Aug 27) in 1962, as far as I can tell, that the session was recorded, produced by Creed Taylor, arranged by Gary McFarland. From California to Camden (?), as part of the new trend that was Bossa Nova, I imagine this being played around the world by those seeking the ‘exotic’, the romantic, sophisticated, and seductive fantasy of what lies beneath the paving stones.

Listen Hear

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...