Saturday 4 December 2010

A Belated Happy Birthday to Jean-Luc Godard


And why not? He's never sent me a card on mine, but I suppose he's given me more pleasure than I've given him...



So happy 80th, you crazy genius...thanks for all the images and words...for Anna K and Lemmy Caution, the visual poetry, Brigitte, bold colours, the Madison dance scene, Belmondo, Vlady, Histoire(s) du Cinema and so much more... 


Martin Luther King had his dream and perhaps mine's not as significant but I'd like to be in a Parisian bar in the 60s where the juke box is playing a mambo tune whilst I sip coffee and wait for Anna to arrive before we drive down South where we'll shack up in a place by the sea so that I can write a novel, and she will not be bored, and I will not end up strapping dynamite around my head...


Some say you're pretentious but I don't mind that, in fact I love the quotes and poetry, the mysteries which may have no meaning at all...


Even the politics now seem attractive...must some kind of nostalgia for times when people fought for and believed in something tangible and idealistic. I'm no longer idealistic, politically...I have no political beliefs at all...


Snubbing the Oscars? One last (?) great gesture to a cinematic world you do not belong in, but were so in love with once upon a time. Well, as for those who don't understand what you've done, as Lemmy said to Alpha 60, you can go and stuff yourself with your bloody Logic...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...